- Stats: 2229 0 0
- Author: Sara
- Posted: June 5, 2017
- Category: Platy Kitchen
[Recipe] Coconut lentil spread
I love coconut, lime and turmeric flavours and will take any excuse to use them in my cooking! 🙂 Last summer, in a little restaurant in the South of France, I ordered a fish dish and it came with a side of lentils with a yellow colour and coconut flavour that really stuck in my memory. I decided to try and recreate it in my own version. This dish was born.
(For more recipes and dips check out the Raging Platypus Issue 3 magazine: go to shop).
(My recipes are intended as seeds for ideas that you can develop, so feel free to add more or less of various ingredients and even add some of your own. I use a normal sized tea mug as a cup measure. Preparation time is approximate.)
- Preparation Time: 00:30
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
- 1 cup lentils (your favourite kind)
- 100 ml cocunut milk
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
- 1Cook lentils in water according to instructions. This step is important to get rid of the foam that forms during cooking. Once cooked, rinse lentils and return to pan.
- 2Stir in coconut milk and spices. Simmer on low heat until the liquid has been absorbed.
- 3Add lime juice at the end, to freshen up the mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with toasted rye bread.
- 4Note: If you want the lentils to be more as a sauce than spread, then add a little soup stock with the coconut milk and stop cooking when the consistency is to your liking.